Current research projects of Professor Kreß:
I. Ongoing research projects
- 'Crimes against foreign States' - Commentary in 'Münchener Kommentar des Strafgesetzbuches' (Munich Commentary on the German Criminal Code) (Publisher: C. H. Beck).
- 'Genocide' - Commentary in 'Münchener Kommentar des Strafgesetzbuchs' (Munich Commentary on the German Criminal Code) (Publisher: C. H. Beck).
- 'International Criminal Court' / 'ICTY' - Complete collection of the laws of both of these international criminal tribunals in Grützner/Pötz/Kreß/Gazeas, Internationaler Rechtshilfeverkehr in Strafsachen (International judicial assistance in criminal matters) (published by C. Kreß and N. Gazeas).
- 'Vertical Cooperation (transfer of persons, other legal assistance) with the International Criminal Court', Commentary chapter in Commentary on the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court (published by K. Ambos; Beck/Hart/Nomos (together with Kimberly Prost)).
- 'Vertical cooperation in extradition requests by the International Criminal Court' - Handbook chapter in The Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court (published by A. Cassese/P. Gaeta/J.R.W.D. Jones; Oxford University Press) (together with Göran Sluiter).
- 'Organised crime and terrorism' - Handbook chapter in Handbook of European Criminal Law (published by Ulrich Sieber; Nomos Verlagsgesellschaft) (together with Nikolaos Gazeas).
II. Individual projects
1. International legal prohibition of the use of force between States
a) Study on the prohibition of the use of force and rescue of nationals abroad. Completed 2018 - together with Benjamin Nußberger (Attachment)
b) Study on the prohibition of the use of force, 'pro-democratic' intervention by invitation. Completed 2017 - together with Benjamin Nußberger (Attachment)
c) Study on the relationship between collective self-defence and intervention by invitation (2015). (Attachment)
d) Study on the historical development of State practice in international peace and security law. Completed and published 2014 (Attachment)
e) Study on Shakespeare's 'Henry V' and the law of war. Completed 2014 (Attachment)
f) Study on the jurisprudence of the International Court of Justice regarding the prohibition of the use of force. Completed and published 2015 (Attachment)
2. International law of armed conflict
a) 'Study on the jurisprudence of the International Court of Justice regarding the law of armed conflict' - completed and published 2013 (Attachment)
3. International criminal law
(1) Studies on scholarship regarding international criminal law - completed and published 2014 (Attachment)
(2) Amicus curiae - Submission on the question of immunity (2018) (Attachment)
b) General part
Study on participation models in criminal law - completed 2016 (Attachment)
c) Crime of aggression
(1) Claus Kreß/Stefan Barriga (eds.), The Crime of Aggression. A Commentary, 2 volumes, Cambridge University Press, 2016. (Book reviews: Just Security; Süddeutsche Zeitung; Journal of Peace Research ; Journal of International Criminal Justice ; Leiden Journal of International Law ; Anuario Iberoamericano de Derecho Internacional Penal ; Polish Yearbook of International Law ; The American Journal of International Law ; Journal of Law, Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University)
Video message from Benjamin Ferencz, former prosecutor of there USA in Nuremberg, on the publication of The Crime of Aggression. A Commentary
(2) Studies on the international crime of aggression -completed and published from 2003 to 2015. (Attachment 1 ; Attachment 2 ; Attachment 3 ; Attachment 4 ; Attachment 5 ; Attachment 6 ; Attachment 7)
(3) Study on the activation of the jurisprudence of the International Criminal Court over the crime of aggression (2018) (Original English version) (Russian version) (Arabic version) (Italian version) (Georgian version) (Korean version part 1 & part 2) (German version) (Spanish version) (Chinese version) (French version)
(4) "The Crime of Aggression" - lecture for the audiovisual library of the United Nations (December 2017) (Link)
Study on the first jurisprudence off the International Criminal Court - completed 2015 (Attachment)
e) Crimes against humanity
(1) 'Acts of terrorism - new crimes against humanity?' Lecture from 2016 before the Court of Cassation (Link)
(2) The Supreme Court for the British Zone and the century long process of reflection on the international crimes against humanity - published in 2016 (Link)
(3) Laying the Foundations for a Convention on Crimes Against Humanity (Link)
f) War crimes
Study on fundamental questions of war crimes - completed 2017 and published as follows: Crimes de guerre, in: O. Beauvallet (ed.), Dictionnaire encyclopédique de la justice pénale internationale, 2017, S. 288-296.
III. Joint projects
Tallinn Manual 2.0 on the International Law Applicable to Cyber Operations, Second Edition. Prepared by the International Group of Experts at the Invitation of the NATO Cooperative Cyber Defence Centre of Excellence. Prof. Kreß was a member of the group of experts. (Link Flyer ; Link to the manual's presentation at the Atlantic Council ; Cyberattacks not in a legal vacuum)
Completed Ph.D. theses
- Dr. Björn Schiffbauer
'Preventive' Self-Defence in International Law. A Systematic Analysis of the Current State of the Law
Published in August 2012 (Duncker & Humblot, Berlin)
Schriften zum Völkerrecht, Volume 197 (Link)
(Completed at the Chair for German and European Criminal Law, International Criminal Law and for International Peace and Security Law, Prof. Dr. Claus Kreß LL.M.)
- Dr. Antje Heyer
A Theory of Aiding and Abetting under International Criminal Law - A Contribution to the Development of an International Economic Criminal Law
Cologne Studies on International Peace and Security Law, Volume 1, March 2013
- Dr. Heike Zygojannis (geb. Schwier)
Rising from Ruins. Kosovo as a New State in Europe?
Published in May 2013 (Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, Schriften zum Völkerrecht, Volume 200 (Link)
- Dr. Nina Kaphaun
Völkerrechtliche Bewertung gezielter Tötungen nicht-staatlicher Akteure
Cologne Studies on International Peace and Security Law, Volume 2, September 2014 (Link)
- Dr. Constantin von der Groeben
Transnational Conflicts and International Law
Cologne Studies on International Peace and Security Law, Volume 3, December 2014 (Link)
- Dr. Karl Molle:
Private Militär- und Sicherheitsunternehmen im Völkerrecht
Publication expected in 2015
- Dr. Denise Fuchs:
Der Beitrag des Sondergerichtshofs für Sierra Leone zum Völkerstrafrecht
Publication expected in 2015